Gníomhaíochtaí Gasta (Quick Activities) is aimed at primary school teachers and contains Irish language communication activities. These activities can be photocopied and are suitable for pupils from 3rd to 6th class in both T1 and T2 schools.
There are twenty real communication activities in the book which focus on the ten themes of the Irish language curriculum: Myself, At Home, Food, Shopping, Television, Weather, Pastimes, Clothing, School and Special Occasions.
Comprehensive instructions are given regarding the real communication activities, as well as suggestions for pre-communication and post-communication activities. This will allow the teacher to approach each unit as an entire lesson or to use the real communication activities by themselves, in order to revise material previously taught in class or simply as fun activities.
The communicative approach to teaching is emphasised throughout the book and many of the language functions set out in the Irish language curriculum can be found in it.
Gaelchultúr hopes Gníomhaíochtaí Gasta will be a valuable resource for primary school teachers as they endeavour to help their students achieve fluency and accuracy in Irish and develop communication skills in a fun, interactive way.
A sample unit from the book is available here:
The prepositional pronouns are one of the most difficult aspects of Irish grammar to learn – and to teach. They are a core part of the language, however, and it is important for learners to familiarise themselves with them to ensure effective communication.
Learners often commit the prepositional pronouns to memory but have difficulty using them accurately in sentences. Póstaer Pearsan will help both learners and teachers to address this problem in a fun and interactive way.
The following items are included in the package:
• 100 coloured cards on which the prepositional pronouns are printed • a large poster with attractive illustrations and spaces where the cards can be attached • a booklet with instructions for an engaging activity aimed at helping learners use the prepositional pronouns correctly • a wide range of sample phrases which learners can use in different contexts and which will add greatly to their repertoire of sentences in Irish.
Póstaer Pearsan is suitable for both schoolchildren and adult learners.
Gaelchultúr is grateful to COGG (An Chomhairle um Oideachas Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta) for providing financial support for this project.
The Réalta an Ranga package contains the following:
• 288 attractive full-colour cards for a fun guessing game
• a booklet containing playing instructions as well as a guide to the grammar required to play the game.
Three different themes are covered in Réalta an Ranga: professions, sport and animals. There are 12 cards for each theme and enough copies of the cards are provided to allow up to 32 learners to play the game at the same time.
Réalta an Ranga is a fun and valuable resource suitable for school children and adult learners alike. It gives participants the opportunity to practise asking and answering questions, helps them to understand the difference between the present and present habitual tenses, and equips them with useful words and phrases relevant to the themes.
Gaelchultúr is grateful to COGG (An Chomhairle um Oideachas Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta) for providing financial support to this project.
QuickGuide™ Irish Grammar is an easy-to-use resource which focuses on the main aspects of the grammar of the language. The unique design and colour scheme enable the user to find information quickly, and the jargon-free explanations make this an indispensable tool for both regular users of Irish and learners of the language.
Grammatical explanations are in English and a translation is given of all the Irish language examples, making this QuickGuide™ accessible to learners at all levels of competency. The focus is on everyday language and on useful words and phrases which can be used in both written and spoken Irish. QuickGuide™ Irish Grammar is suitable for post-primary and third-level students, teachers and adult learners of Irish.
A course with interactive exercises based on this QuickGuide™ is available at www.ranganna.com.
This course is aimed at primary school teachers who wish to learn more about principles and lesson structures of the communicative approach. In each module two sample lessons, based on the themes from the curriculum, are presented using the communicative approach, including the pre-communicative, the communicative and the post-communicative phases.
Although we would encourage you to use as much Irish as possible in your answers, you can use English if you need to.
The main objectives of the course are:
• to give teachers a better understanding of methods of teaching the Irish curriculum as well as the principles and lesson structures of the communicative approach;
• to give teachers new ideas about the teaching of Irish and to enable them to implement these ideas in the classroom in order to improve the standard of Irish teaching, to inspire interest in the language and to improve the ability of pupils to communicate;
• to improve teachers’ Irish-teaching skills and to give them confidence in teaching the language.